Supplemental Lab Kit
The supplement to the PHOTON2 laboratory kit will allow more students to participate in hands-on experiments. The kits are distrbuted by Lumenflow.
||BRINGS KIT TOTAL TO:
||3 laser pointers (650, 670, 532 nm)
||2 laser pointer tripod mounts
||2 plastic spectrometers
||1 sheet polarizer (17″x19″)
||2 mounted polarizers plus 1 sheet
||2 each: 3″ post and post holders
||1 large base plate
||2 PASCO ray box light sources
||3 ray boxes total
||2 tilt tables
Some examples of increased flexibility this supplemental kit offers:
- ITEMS 1 and 2: Additional lasers will allow up to 4 groups to perform the 2-slit and diffraction grating labs, at 3 new wavelengths.
- ITEM 3: Additional spectrometers will allow more students to view light sources simultaneously
- ITEM 4: The sheet polarizer may be cut into small squares, allowing additional students to perform the polarization explorations. Or, it can be cut in half for overhead projection use or large-scale projects (such as “Polage” art.)
- ITEMS 5-8: Additional hardware and light sources will allow three groups to work simultaneously on the thin lens and related labs (two lenses, laser beam collimator, focal length of a negative lens). Each group will have 1- 2” post and post holder for the tilt table and ray box, 2- 3” posts and post holders for one or two lenses. (The present kit has 6 lens holders.) While one group works on the kit’s optical table, the other two groups can use the large base plates to support the components. (Use a manila folder for the screen.)
- ITEM 7: Additional groups may perform the index of refraction lab, using the straight-sided shapes from the acrylic prism kit or other materials such as thick glass plates or Jello® cubes.